Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Custom Built Art Frames

well if you haven't deleted me from you list yet, then you will get to see my latest project.

I have a new respect for the cost of framed art work.
several months this has been in the making. First with finding the outstanding “handtools” poster (
and then touring Antique Archeology in Nashville (you know, the Mike guy who is on “American Pickers”) and finding a print of the ‘48 Harley KnuckleHead engine Mike picked.
First I’m a pretty lucky guy to have a wife that thinks a harley engine and a hand tools poster hanging in her house is a good idea!
The hand tools frame is Walnut with a Maple inlay and Maple corner splines. I finished it with several coats of BLO and then paste waxed over that. A great friend Steve Brown hooked me up on the glass, and Hobby Lobby did the matting.
The knucklehead frame is Oak. Actually, they are Oak stair treads ripped down to size! Even though no one can see them, I double pinned the corners with Oak dowels. Finished with two coats General Finishes Expresso and wipe on Poly.
First time out, I like ‘em. Now I just have to hang ‘em.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Screen Door Installed

I know, this is a little like double dipping for compliments.  But I have to!
The boss took the screen door home this weekend and installed it; took some pictures and sent them to me this morning.
I'm tell'n ya, I may have modify the design for windows (instead of screens) and build a custom storm door for MY house.

Friday, April 4, 2014

Closet and Screen Door - I's been a while.

Holy crap it's been a long time! 
I have been knocking out some projects lately and thought I would share.

First, my closet.....

First photo is the finished shot

What we have here is Maple plywood finished with Amber Shellac and trimmed with "select" pine covered with an expresso stain.  I planned to use maple for the face frame but the expresso is dark and didn't want to "waste" good maple by covering it up.  The rods are 1.375" Poplar stained with the same Expresso finish.

Next, the boss's screen door.
This was the jacked up screen door the owner of my company brought to me to fix or replace.  I replaced.

Here, we have a cedar door with removable screens.
I lapped the joints (except the center style, I used wood dowels for that) and pinned them with 1/2" Oak dowels.  Then I finished the whole thing with a couple coats of teak oil.
The owner comes back from vaca Monday.  I know he is happy with it, let's see what his wife thinks.

I am getting started on some custom picture/art frames so stay tuned my friends.

that is all, carry on.